January 09, 2013

Where have I been....? A New Year...2013.

First, please forgive me for ending my posts almost as soon as they started.  Since my last post in September I have had some life changes. For many years I have suffered with chronic back/hip/leg pain. After a number of years of trying to discover why a year and a half ago it was recommended I have surgery to release the compressed nerves near my L5 which is caused by a bulging disc. Needless to say in great Shari form I took up my own torch and tried every possible solution to cure this without surgery. The list is too numerous to share. However, after finally participating in 3 months of intense Physical Therapy recommended by the surgeon as a list effort before surgery, it was determined that I needed to have surgery. I realized it had been time for a long time I had just not given my will over to God for him to show me His path.

November 12, 2012 I trusted God for His protection and the precision of the Surgeon who shaved the bone down on my L5 to release the 5+ years of compressed nerves. So I have been on a journey of HEALING since then. It has both humbled me and encouraged me.
  • Humbled - to rely on my mother, family and friends to do everything I do all day long. Laundry, grocery shop, clean the house, walk the dog, drive the carpools...
  • Encouraged - a care calendar created by a dear friend filled fast and meals came as well. I was so encouraged by the neighbors I have just begun to know, the women I pray with in Moms in Prayer, the women I lead with/and lead in bible study, long life friends, and new friends in all!
  • My daughters vacuuming. My mom doing ALL the laundry and driving. My mom just loving me in only the way she can by giving up a month of her life to come serve my family and I.
  • Mark's compassion, understanding, and slowing down for this season.
  • God's grace and mercy during a time I had to hand it all over.
I just wanted to start this new year off saying, "Thank you for all your love, texts, letters, flowers, food, and prayers!"

Below are two pictures that have brought me great JOY during my recovery. I look forward to being able to walk, maybe run the beach with NO pain, to jump for JOY like my kids and not pay for it, to just being WARM in His light as we are in these beach pictures.

Kids jumping at Lake Michigan, August 2012
 
Our Christmas Picture for 2012. Fitting since we spent so much
time at Lake Michigan during 2012 Summer.


I also wanted to share that our family has each chosen a Word for 2013. A word we desire for the Lord to mold into our character. Mine is:

TRUST - i am trusting God to Heal me, to graciously show me my New Normal, to teach me how to be thankful for ALL He provides, and to continue Spreading Joy!
 
In His Grace,
Shari Walpole


 



4 comments:

  1. So beautifully expressed in writing!! I love the "new normal" as you continue to trust God you will find so MUCH FREEDOM in your new normal I know I have... you have already come so far Shari and you will continue to move forward to the next bar in your song... I love you to the moon and back! I am looking forward to the day we can run on the beach together! Our earthly father in Heaven will get a kick out of that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene I love you and thank you for all your encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through At Home With Kim's group on Facebook. I am praying for your continued healing, that God would continue to strengthen you and pour out His grace on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie thank you so much for your prayers and kind words. I am loving our group with Kim.

      Delete